2016 SCFM Conference: The Winchester Museum
In March 2016, SCFM will be hosting it's annual conference at the Winchester Museum in Edgefield, SC. Registration will be opening soon but in the meantime, we're going to share some of the great exihibits and educational projects that makes the museum unique.
The Winchester Museum is an interactive experience all about the wild turkey and our country’s rich conservation and hunting heritage.
- The world’s largest turkey call: Visitors can step into this oversized box call and learn how to make different types of wild turkey sounds.
- A helicopter simulator: Sit in a retired USDA Forest Service helicopter and go along on a controlled burn expedition.
- Shooting simulator: This arcadestyle shooting game is fun for the young and young at heart!
- Wildlife oddities: See the unexpected and sometimes strange variations in nature when it comes to wild turkeys and whitetailed deer.
- 3D wild turkey dioramas: This isn’t the shoebox stories of elementary school. See artist renderings and taxidermy of the five wild turkey subspecies and the ocellated species in their natural habitats.
- Animated storytellers: A lifelike grandpa sits in a rocking chair and tells stories about the history of the NWTF, turkey hunting and conservation. We also have a stateoftheart animatronicCherokee Indian who shares legends and stories of wild turkeys.
- Historic turkey calls: Donated by master turkey callmakers Neil Cost and M.L. Lynch, these are some of the museum’s most treasured collections. Visitors also can view the wall that depicts the evolution of turkey calls spanning more than a century.
- Virtual reality theater: Enter the theater and you’re immediately transported to the break of dawn on a spring morning. Hear the sounds and see the sights of the woods waking up. Watch out for the turkeys flying off their roost!
Watch this video to learn more about the Winchester Museum!
Photo courtesy of www.exploreedgefield.com
Photo courtesy of the August Chronical
Photo courtesty of www.exploreedgefield.com